PM says move is to protect UK against any new variants after 1,280 deaths were reported in 24 hours and 55,761 people tested positive in the UK
- Wales to introduce new risk assessments for shops and workplaces
- Regulator refuses to approve mass daily testing at English schools
- UK bans arrivals from South America over Brazilian variant
- How to care for people with Covid at home
- Global coronavirus updates – live
Questions from the public now.
Q. What are your plans to contain are future highly transmissible variant that may require adjustments to the vaccines?
The number of deaths is rising steadily, which will continue next week, he says.
The results of everyone’s actions will reduce the pressure on the NHS and reduce the number of deaths, he says.
I’m afraid in the next week we do anticipate the number of people in the NHS and the number of deaths will continue to rise as the effects of what everyone has done take a while to feed through.