Latest updates: the Commons has been recalled for vote on new lockdown laws, amid record hospitalisation figures and Covid infection rates
- Thousands of children sent to unregulated care homes amid Covid
- Strict Covid restrictions could last months, Boris Johnson signals
- UK vaccine minister vows ‘massive uplift’ in number of jabs this week
- Leak of November lockdown plan linked to ‘surge in new infections’
- Global coronavirus updates – live
Johnson starts by saying there is a “fundamental difference” between this lockdown and previous ones. That is because there is no a mechanism for getting out of it – the vaccination programme.
He says 1.1m people in England and 1.3m people in the UK have already been vaccinated.
Boris Johnson is about to deliver his statement to MPs.
Here is the call list of MPs down to ask a question.