Latest updates: four in 10 adults met up to two other households on 25 December, finds ONS
- Fears over South Africa variant led to travel curbs
- Pfizer vaccine protects against new Covid variants, study suggests
- Which countries have reported the new UK Covid variant?
- Serious faults in some English care homes’ defences
- Coronavirus – latest updates
A third Covid vaccine – produced by Moderna – has been approved by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA).
Britain has ordered 7m doses of the vaccine, which has been approved by regulators in the EU and US. But UK authorisation will not help the government towards its goal of vaccinating the most vulnerable by mid-February.
More than half of all major hospital trusts in England currently have more Covid-19 patients than at the peak of the first wave of the virus, new analysis shows.
In two regions – eastern England and south-east England – more than three-quarters of trusts are above their first-wave peak.