- Biden to nominate Merrick Garland as attorney general – report
- Rev Raphael Warnock defeats Republican senator Kelly Loeffler
- Georgia Senate runoff elections – live results
- Why Georgia Senate elections are a big deal
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
Joe Biden has selected federal judge Merrick Garland as his nominee to lead the justice department, according to multiple reports.
Biden selected Garland over former Sen. Doug Jones (D-AL) and former deputy attorney general Sally Yates, choosing to elevate the chief judge of the United States Court of Appeals in D.C. to run the Justice Department. …
In a Republican-controlled Senate, Jones was viewed as the easiest candidate to get confirmed given his strong relationships across the aisle. Garland was also considered a risk in that it would be difficult to confirm a replacement for him on the appellate court.
Donald Trump is now speaking to attendees of the “March to Save America” rally in Washington, less than an hour before Congress will convene to certify Joe Biden’s victory in the presidential election.
The president reiterated his baseless claims of widespread fraud in the election, telling rally attendees, “We will never give up, we will never concede. It doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved.”