- NSW records six new cases
- India begins world’s biggest Covid vaccination program
- Australian Open records fourth Covid case as tennis player warned for breaking quarantine rules
- Global coronavirus death toll reaches 2 million people
- For all our coronavirus coverage
In the UK university lecturers will not resume “unsafe” face-to-face teaching this academic year, and any attempt by the government or vice-chancellors to reopen campuses in February will fail, the country’s largest academic union has warned.
The University and College Union will ballot its members to strike against the resumption of in-person teaching, should any university attempt to organise the return of its staff to campuses over the next six months while staff feel it is unsafe.
Tokyo reported 1,592 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, its government said.
Japan expanded a state of emergency in the capital area to seven more prefectures on Wednesday to stem a surge in Covid-19 infections.